I have extended health insurance from my employer or spouse’s employer. How do I know how much of the equipment will be covered through the insurance policy?

The best way to determine how much the extended health insurance policy will cover is to call directly to the insurance company (Pacific Blue Cross, Green Shield, Sun Life, etc.) with your plan ID, group ID and policy number. The customer service at the insurance company is usually able to determine the coverage amounts based your policy. Only the policy holder or the Power of Attorney (if the POA agreement is on file with the insurance company) can obtain this information. If you get stuck, give us a call and we can help you.

My father is a Veteran of the Canadian Forces with full benefits. What are the options and requirements for Veterans’ Affairs Canada (VAC) in order to fund the purchase of medical equipment?

Island Mediquip is an authorized provider with VAC and we are very familiar with the funding procedure. Funding depends on the piece of medical equipment needed as to whether VAC will fund the equipment quickly. Most equipment funding requires a letter of justification from an occupational therapist, a physicians' note, and two quotations from authorized equipment providers. The best way to figure out coverage or to obtain the required documentation, it is best to call our experienced administration staff.

My daughter is 18 years old and has Cerebral Palsy. She is in need of a new wheelchair and custom seating. Does she have funding through the provincial government?

There is a lot of factors to consider when determining funding through the Provincial Government programs. Island Mediquip is an authorized vendor for the Provincial Government for Durable Medical Equipment for Vancouver Island and Powell River, so is very knowledgeable on the requirements. The best way to determine coverage is to either contact the experienced staff at Island Mediquip or contact an Occupational Therapist through the Home and Community Care program.

We have contacted our Extended Health Insurer and have determined that they will cover 80% of the total purchase price of the equipment. Do we receive the payment directly from our insurer or you they pay you directly? Also, how do you deal with the remaining 20% payable?

Either we obtain a signed ‘Assignment of Payment’ form from the Power of Attorney or the Client, so we can be paid directly from the Insurer or the total amount is paid once the funds are paid to the Client or the Power of Attorney. If we receive the signed AOP form, we will require the remaining 20% to be paid once the equipment has been delivered and setup. If you need any assistance during this process, please call our experienced staff and they can guide you through the process.

I currently get provincial government financial assistance and require a wheelchair. Am I eligible for government assistance for medical equipment and are you able to provide me with the equipment needed?

We are currently an approved vendor for Vancouver Island and Powell River for all provincial government funding sources for durable medical equipment. The best place to start is to call Central Intake in your community and get an Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist to provide an assessment. They are very knowledge on the funding process through government funding sources and can determine your eligibility.

Our family is of limited means and we do not have extended medical coverage of any kind. How can we keep the costs down, yet provide the best option for our loved one?

We offer an extensive rental pool of equipment which helps reduce of upfront costs of purchasing equipment. In addition, we often have gently used or demonstration medical equipment which may be available at a reduced price.